CUV50311 Diploma of Graphic Design
Imagine your way to a lasting design career
Graphic design is one of the few careers that’s limited only by your imagination. With the right qualifications and hands-on experience, you can transform fantastic concepts into visual reality. This design course will give you precisely that ability, by enhancing your design awareness, and refining your skills in analysing problems and visualising concepts.
Start a career in
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Concept Art
- Junior Art Direction
- Magazine Design
- Brand and Identity Design
- Corporate Design
- Packaging Design
- Computer Finished Art
- Advertising Design
- Environmental Graphic Design
Quick Course Overview
Diploma of Graphic Design
CRICOS Course code
VIC – TBA
Study Options- Australian Students
Full-time and part-time/blended
The part-time courses are blended – mostly on-campus but with some subjects online
Study options –Overseas students
1 year full-time (including breaks)
or 2 years part-time (including breaks)
720 hours classroom study
Three start dates a year – enquire about upcoming dates
Refer our friendly Course and Careers Advisors for specific
Course and Entry Requirements Information
Austudy approved, and flexible
payment options available (VFH
Demonstrated skills and knowledge – Practical/Written
Part-time students will submit all their assessments online through portal.
Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
and the Gold Coast
* As part of the entry requirements of this course, you will need to submit examples of creative work or other evidence to demonstrate a genuine interest in design. Contact your consultant for more information about these and other specific entry requirements.
SUBJECTS / UNITS OF COMPETENCY
• CUVGRD504A Create and manipulate graphics
• CUVACD501A Refine drawing & other visual representation skills
• BSBDES403A Develop and extend design skills and practice
• CUVGRD503A Produce typographic design solutions
• CUVGRD501A Research visual communication history and theory
• CUVGRD502A Produce graphic designs for 2-D and 3-D applications
• CUVGRD505A Design and manipulate complex layouts
• CUVGRD506A Develop graphic design practice to meet industry
• CUVPRP503A Present a body of own creative work
• CUVACD504A Research and apply light and colour
• BSBCRT301A Develop and extend critical and creative thinking skills
• CUVACD507A Refine 3-D design ideas and processes
• CUVILL501A Develop professional illustrations
• BSBADV509A Create mass print media advertisements
• CUFDIG401A Author interactive media
• CUFIND401A Provide services on a freelance basis
• CUAIND401A Extend expertise in specialist field
• CUVGRD607A Develop graphic designs for branding and identity
• ICAWEB505A Develop complex web page layouts
This course is offered full-time and part-time at CATC campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast, and through online education. There are three start dates each year for On-campus courses, and monthly start dates for Online, so you can start your course at a time that suits you. Contact your Course and Careers Advisor now for upcoming start dates.
Where are the campuses located?
Campuses are located in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. All campuses are designed to provide students with professional and spacious studio environments in which to learn and work. All campuses are equipped with audiovisual teaching materials, industry journals, books and online reference materials.
Campus Facilities and Services
Facilities and services include:
• Resources Centre; housing books, magazines, publications, CDs, DVDs
• Part-time students will have access to a lot of additional online material, to support those subjects they’re taking on-campus.
• FREE catalogue with UNILINC membership
• Electronic Database to leading online journals
• Printing and copying services
• FREE wireless access available to students
• Student break-out spaces for group work
• Student lounge areas – most with microwaves, kitchenette facilities and vending
• Student Services Staff – to assist with administrative issues
• Student Support Services – including counselling
• Part-time students have access to academics who can answer their questions or worries about assessments. They will be able to call or email the online academic team with any questions, which will give them greater access to academic support.
Unique learning experience
The faster, more flexible way to a real design career
This school produces work-ready graduates capable of taking up a range of positions within the graphic design industry. CATC is a highly respected specialist design school, well known for delivering award-winning graduates with the right skills. CATC graduates can think, produce and communicate – just what employers demand. The school’s industry reputation and the calibre of its training leads to excellent employment opportunities for graduates.
Enjoy real employment opportunities
This nationally recognised qualification gives you a real career advantage when you’re starting out in design, thanks to the school’s strong industry links.
Articulation for further study
If you are keen to push your creativity to the next level, the Diploma of Graphic Design articulates directly into a Bachelor of Applied Design (Communication) Degree program. Upon successful completion of the Diploma you can gain entry to the 2nd year of the Bachelor course. A great opportunity for you to enhance your knowledge and skills as you prepare for a position within the graphic design industry.
Industry body involvement and membership
• AGDA – Australian Graphic Design Association
• DIA – Design Institute of Australia
• BAD – Brisbane Art Directors Club
Graduates have been hired by a wide range of companies including:
• Billabong / Von Zipper
• Basis Advertising
• Metricon Homes
• Beacon Lighting
• David Jones
• Dreamworld + Disney
• Saatchi & Saatchi
• Blue Marlin
Benefit from an award-winning track record
Graduates consistently place in and win prestigious design awards and competitions, including:
• Design Institute of Australia NSW ‘Graduate Of The Year Awards’ (GOTYA) Winners & Finalists 2010, 2011, and 2012
• The Design Institute of Australia’s “Interior Decoration Student of the Year” award in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011
• The Design Graphics Magazine “Cover of the Year” in 2004
• Vocational Student of the Year, Queensland Training Awards – Brisbane 2007 (finalist)
• Vocational Student of the Year, Queensland Training Awards -Gold Coast 2006 (finalist)
• Southern Cross Packaging Awards Shortlist 2010 and 2011
• Prometheus Art Award (finalists)Flexible payment options
Austudy/Abstudy approved and almost every Australian citizen is eligible for Government assistance through the VET FEE-HELP program. This means you do not have to pay anything upfront for your course, but can pay for your course as you earn.
Project-based, supportive training
You will learn through project-based study. We encourage you to experiment, learning from your mistakes to hone your skills. Class structure enables you to focus on your areas of interest.